Welcome to Sweet Lane

This site is dedicated to serving those of you who have a passion for all things food. Dessert is our main topic but I will also talk about breakfast, lunch and dinner. On the lane you can find recipes, reviews and advice. Don't forget, you can always find a good dessert right around the corner!

Enjoy!

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Sugar Cookies Part 2

So the sugar cookies have been rolled out, baked and decorated.  Here is what I've learned today:

1.  I'm not too sure about Royal Icing.  Royal Icing hardens and is used not only to decorate cookies but also as a "glue" to past fondant on cakes and cookies.  It is very difficult at first to find a good consistency and I don't really think it tastes all that good.  This was the second time I've used Royal Icing and I'm sure it won't be the last but I'm going to look into some new recipes.

2.  I can't lie- I am not the best artist when it comes to decorating cookies.  Yes I try as hard as I can and its not easy when you are in a time crunch and your baby only wants to be with mommy.  Not that I have an ego or anything, but I think the desserts I bake are pretty good and tasty.  I also can decorate cupcakes and cakes.  When it comes to the artistry of "painting" a cookie I need to practice some more.  And I think thats ok.  My cookies taste delicious and they look ok, but I want them to look as great as they taste.  Who knows- one day I will probably just hire an artist and I can stick to what I do best.

Here are a few hints:

1. When you are rolling out your cookie dough make sure you use enough flour.  Put flour under the dough, on top of the dough and on your rolling pin.  This will save you from having your cookie stick to the counter and becoming disfigured as you try to pull them up.

2. Take the cookies out of the oven (I bake at 350 degrees for my sugar cookies) when the sides are starting to brown but not the tops.  Immediately put them on a cooling rack.

3. Finally, don't worry!  In the end as long as they taste good and you are having fun, thats all that matters.

Pictures of my "Cute as a Button" sugar cookies will posted tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment